When I think of the power of a day I think of its ability to transform your mood, your perspective, your entire life.....
June 2005:
My family had decided to go to our favorite weekend getaway spot; Tampa, where we would stay at the Residence Inn in celebration of my birthday. My dad had gone through some various testing to diagnose the cause of a lingering cough he had had for months. In the car they told me my dad had been diagnosed with lung cancer.
"Lung cancer is the most common cancer worldwide, accounting for 1.3 million deaths annually"-American Lung Association
| Cancer Survivor! |
October 2007:
My mother and I had gone to church with the intention to go to their annual fall festival immediately following the service. In church they announced the opportunity to be baptized and suddenly feeling this unexplained urge I signed up. This urge would be explained not even an hour later as we ventured home to get a change of clothes and towel. My dad would be flown to the hospital a few hours later, where he was diagnosed with multiple brain lesions.
"those who have been diagnosed with lung cancer metastatic to the brain have a median survival of only 4 months, survival greater that five years (which is considered to be long-term survival) vary from less than 10% to a high of 32%."-WEbMD
| Cancer Survivor AGAIN! |
5 YEARS LATER!!!
September 2012:
My dad hadn't been feeling well all morning and my mom working at the hospital told him to come in so that he could be checked out. His brain lesions were so numerous they took him straight to MD Anderson. He was resisting the entire way not because he was scared but because he had bought my mother her anniversary gift to celebrate 29 years of marriage and he wanted to be home when it arrived. During his stay they looked at his scans and only sharing this with me and my mother told us he would only have a few months.
| Completion of treatment |
1 1/2 YEARS LATER!!
December, 2013:
I called my mom in my usual fashion to catch up on the events of the day. I excitedly talked to her about my new job and responsibilities within the association, I talked about my relationship, I even hung up on her for the opportunity to catch up with my cousin as he called in. When I called her back she informed me that my dads treatment is no longer effective and is being stopped.
______________________________________________________
These past few years have been a whirlwind of emotions but one thing stands true. We were all created by God for God. Throughout this journey I have learned that you don't always know the way in which God will choose to manifest His glory, but looking past my current emotions I can see how God used disease to strengthen relationships while rejuvenating others, bring about a boldness in prayer all the while reminding me and fellow believers of the urgency of the Gospel.
These past few years have been a whirlwind of emotions but one thing stands true. We were all created by God for God. Throughout this journey I have learned that you don't always know the way in which God will choose to manifest His glory, but looking past my current emotions I can see how God used disease to strengthen relationships while rejuvenating others, bring about a boldness in prayer all the while reminding me and fellow believers of the urgency of the Gospel.
My dad may pass away tomorrow or in a month or a year but the Kingdom prevails. He always gets the glory.
"When I don't understand I will choose you. When I don't understand I will choose you God. When I don't understand I get to choose to love you God. For you are good God. For you are good to me. For you are good God. For you are good to me."
| Hanging with my hero |
"When I don't understand I will choose you. When I don't understand I will choose you God. When I don't understand I get to choose to love you God. For you are good God. For you are good to me. For you are good God. For you are good to me."
Title: I breathe you in, God
Artist: Bryan and Katie Torwalt
Artist: Bryan and Katie Torwalt

2 comments:
Ari you have been blessed as you travel this rough road with your dad. He has been blessed to have you travel it with him. Prayers for peace in the days months years ahead.
Ari,
Your mom forwarded this blog to me just a few weeks before your dad transitioned from this realm to eternity. I was (and remain) moved in my spirit by your dad's valiant fight and by the strength that you all drew from our FATHER who holds each of our destinies in His loving hand. I hope and pray that others will readily see my faith revealed in GOD that you, and both tour parents have displayed. Thank you ...
Post a Comment